Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Being Happy Living on Less

I have been baking my own bread since last Christmas when a couple of wonderful clients gave me a bread machine as a present. I have not bought bread since I have started baking my own. My clients bought me the bread machine because I was complaining about how difficult it was to find bread that did not have high fructose corn syrup in it and was made with pure whole wheat. Do you know lots of bread is made with cellulose? Look at your ingredients. Do you know what cellulose is? I do. Cellulose is a fancy word for wood. Wood is termite food, wood is building material, wood is good for a fireplace. Wood has no place in food. Bread has cellulose in it to boost the fiber content. Whole wheat flour has enough fiber in it for me thank you, hold the cellulose! When I started baking bread, I was happy to have control over the ingredients in the bread. My bread contains: whole wheat flour, organic safflower oil, molasses, milk, salt, yeast and wheat gluten. How many ingredients does your bread have? A lot, I bet. If there are any you can't pronounce you are probably eating chemicals and preservatives. I preserve my bread by cutting it in half. One half goes in the fridge, the other half goes into the freezer. Every other week or so I bake a loaf. A 5lb bag of flour costs around $3.50 and I can get 4 loaves of bread from a bag. I am really saving money by baking my own bread. A new bread machine is an investment but one that is worthwhile I think. You could probably find used bread machines at thrift shops and garage sales. I am trying to eat most of my meals at home. I cook a little extra at dinner so that I have enough food to take to work with me for lunch.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment