Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I am vindicated!

I think anyone who reads my blogs know how I feel about going out to eat. Just in case you don't know, I'll repeat how I feel. I think you are putting your life in the hands of the cook or the restaurant owner when you go out to eat. Where do I start? (Less of this applies if you go out to a small, local little place that prides itself on fresh food.)
I am talking about the big chain restaurants. If a Sysco truck delivers there you are putting your life at risk. If you eat out once a year to celebrate a birthday or anniversary, read no more. This is for people who eat out once a week or more at chain restaurants. Look at the list of appetizers. Everything is fried. Blooming onions, chicken fingers (people - you realize of course that chickens don't have fingers), jalapeno poppers (OMG - fried peppers filled with cheese - yes, they are delicious, but they will clog your arteries). Do you know why so much food is fried in these restaurants? Cheffing is hard. You have to go to an expensive school. You have to take low paying jobs to get experience. Now, to cook at a chain restaurant, you just have to be able to count and read. There is a card over the fryer that tells you how many jalapeno poppers go into an order. If you can count to six, you can cook at that restaurant. I get so grumpy at restaurants when there is nothing that is not fried on the appetizer menu. I also never get enough vegetables at a restaurant. Do you know how asparagus comes in a bundle? That bundle is enough for one hungry person or two more civilized people. I have been in restaurants where I was presented with a plate that had a giant slab of meat and three spears of asparagus. Three spears of asparagus is an appetizer! It should be the other way around. A big portion of asparagus and a tiny portion of meat. We need about 3 ounces of protein a day. Anything you consume in excess is stored as fat. That is fact. If you overfill your car with gasoline, it just spills over the side of the car. If you overfill yourself with food it gets stored. As fat. Now, you may not feel as though you are overeating. But you are overeating by consuming more of something than you need. The only thing your body can do with it is store it as fat. How often have I seen 20 ounce portions of steak on the menu? Often. Trust me, 17 ounces of that steak are stored as fat.
I digress. Here is why I am vindicated. A client for a variety of reasons has decided to eat more meals at home. This requires cooking at home. She is a trooper and is doing the additional work of shopping and prepping and cooking. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday, she announced rather worriedly that her husband has unexpectedly lost 11 pounds. He is not dieting. He has simply started eating good, home cooked food. Going out to eat a lot, will impact your weight and more importantly your health.
If you would like to be healthier and possibly lighter, eat more meals at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment